Drums Of Mordor Drums Of Mordor

Easy sounding and yet a strong and powerful track. I like it.
Some transitions could be a bit better (1:10).
Great use and mix of electronic elements :)
Keep up the good work.

Ghost (Instrumental) Ghost (Instrumental)

Hey there,

it was a very interesting experience to listen to this! I can feel and understand your buildup and the progression of the song.

Here a few (technical) points I noticed:
0.46 This heavily distorted sound, which sounds like an e-guitar, always seems to play with the same velocity/dynamics. You can try to add a few variations here or glide/slide to emphasize notes etc.
Automation of parameters is your friend. Just a little tip for the future.
0.50 The sound is cracking on the left channel.
1:40 The drums which are kicking in at around 1:40 are very quiet. You could compress them to raise their volume, and have a look on "sidechain" compression/limiting/gaining. This will help to achive a much cleaner mix and makes the drums more punchy.
2:40 This is my favourite part
3:00 Breakdowns like this are sweet!

Overall, the sounds keeps getting crackling when it becomes too loud. Quality goes over loudness! You may also play more with stereo imaging. A lot of sounds, which may be better in another place, are centered together and 'mash up'.

To sum up: play more with dynamics, stereo and mixing.
You're on a good way! Keep up the work!

MysteriousPresence responds:

Hey thank you so much for this detailed review ! <3
I'll try to respect your advices as much as I can for my next tracks !
Compressing the drums is interesting, I never thought about that !
In fact, I'm afraid I can't do so much with crackling, this is the result of the conversion of my m4a files to mp3 (I compose with GarageBand).
Thank you too for the dynamics advice, it's true that I don't often use it ! ^^
In fact, my last track (Hit This Shit) is, I think, really good talking about the mixing and stereoing, maybe you should try it ! :3
Thank you so much again ! =)

Lost Time - Reminiscence Lost Time - Reminiscence

Smooth, calm, relaxing and definitely not boring. Great track!

DanJohansen responds:

Thanks a ton! Sorry for the super late feedback :D

A Hero Rises A Hero Rises

Very nice cinematic track! The control of emotion and dynamics of the brass and the soft strings really adds to it!
I'm missing a bigger and wider presence of the drum section here (could be my flavour).
I imagine this to be the hymn of a medieval nation or the background track of a game! Great work!

As to collabs, if you're free, you can connect me - I love to work together with talented people!

sleepFacingWest responds:

I had actually thought about beefing up the percussion! It's one of those things where the rabbit hole can always go deeper. I thought some more clangy stuff in the background maybe, or during the 3rd section when the loud/quiet part happens having some triangle during the loud part. I dunno. These things are so open and at a certain point, you can really do anything! I would eventually like to make this more than a loop. In that case, I could definitely beef up the percussion!

(thanks for listening)

The Rory Gallagher Song The Rory Gallagher Song

This piece could really fit into a lot of video games! Well done!
I miss a bit the catchiness of good old 8-bit melodies.

lokimiah1 responds:

Thanks, man! I really like making these 8-bit songs, 'cause they let me share the riffs I make on guitar and bass.

I appreciate the review.

As a side note, I like the aesthetic of the OC there. Good job on that.

Optimistically Optimistically

Very unique lyrics! I love them!
I believe your voice can do much more! Work on your talents :)

SerPounce responds:

Thanks a bunch, means a lot! I'm always trying to work on my music/art stuff, singing seems to be the hardest thing to get an immediate hold of out of anything in my life so far, actually.

Castles in the Rain Castles in the Rain

All in all, a great ambiental track which can describe an action-packed story.
I imagine someone having to bear a mysterious task or fight.
This definitely has a lot of potential but you have to work on the sound of your songs. The mix doesn't sound completely right and finished and the piano could sounds a bit synthetic/generic - that's why I can't give the full 5 stars.
I'm curious about what is coming next! :)

IndustryStandard responds:

I understand about the piano, it is 100% synthetic, and quite generic indeed. I didn't realize at the time Reason had a sampled piano as well, which probably would have sounded better but that's just something I'll have to mess around with in the future.

In hindsight, I might have actauly forgotten to mix this before uploading it... Although it's equally possible that the mixing is just not very good, I made this track a while ago and I'm sure it could benefit from a little reworking.

Tides of Time Tides of Time

Very deep and emotional track!
The sound of foaming waves streaming on the beach and the legatos on the cello really add emotion to it!
'Tides of Time' - a great one-time-experience!

DSykMusic responds:

Thanks! Happy that you liked it :)